Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Stubborn as Our Lady


microsoft.com
“The most Holy Virgin Mary will conformed herself in everything, whether pleasant or not, to the Divine Will, although she suffered greatly. Seek to imitate her.” – St. Maximilian Kolbe

It was Saturday afternoon, I and a group of young adults were visiting a convalescent home.
As the people watching through the windows saw us arrive, smiles appeared on their sad faces and they gave us a festive greeting. Others came to meet us with an air of expectation.

First, we went to the chapel to communicate and witness to these brothers and sisters who were so alone and often hopeless. Then, we divided into two groups; I went to the men’s side.

I immediately sensed a heavy and gloomy atmosphere. Two of the elderly men, in particular, glared at me while, with apparent indifference, they continued to play cards. We approached them, greeted them cordially, and tried to engage in conversation.  One of the two angrily rose to his feet and, cursing, growled at me to get away and not leave one of those “little, insignificant things.”

The young people in our group were astonished, and encouraged me to leave him alone – because at that point he could start a fight. Instead, I felt very calm and strong. I approached him anew and offered the Miraculous Medal, telling him not to be afraid. He sneered at me, grabbed the Medal, and threw it on the floor. I calmly picked it up and sat next to them. The old man still grumbled, but in the end he said, “Very well, that thing has won… leave it for me then, but only in friendship.”

The next day I received a phone call: “Mr. X died - with the Medal in his hand.  He asked us to let you know and to thank you!”

Thank you Mary! You are forever fabulous and unpredictable.
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment