Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mary Hitchhikes


“Do not put your trust in yourself, in everything confide totally in the divine mercy what leads you through the Immaculata.” – St. Maximilian Kolbe

I worked as a teacher in a rural school in Rio Cuarto (Argentina). Every day (because for the moment there was no public transportation) in order to make the 50 kilometer (about 31 mile) trip there and back, I had to resort to hitchhiking. While I waited for someone to give me a ride, I usually prayed the Rosary for all travelers, the children at my school, their families, and also that the Our Lady would send someone to pick me up. 

One day, even before I signaled the need for a ride, a Toyota stopped. The driver was headed directly for Rio Cuarto. “What a grace!” I thought. But, scarcely had I entered the car when I felt a great discomfort. The first words of this young driver were: “How much do you pay?” Then, he began to make indecent proposals.

Generally, when I get into a car I put my rosary in my pocket. That time I did not, instead I held it tightly and passed it from one hand to the other, asking Mary’s help.

The young man took notice, and sarcastically asked: “You believe in that?” “Certainly, I believe in God and Mary, that she gave us the rosary so that we can turn to her in every moment.”

I don’t remember exactly what happened next. I know only that we began to talk and the 50 kilometers passed seemed like 5. As I got out of the car, the boy said goodbye, and looking me in the eyes said, 

“Thank you, the Madonna bless you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment