Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas Around the World: Chaldea


 To learn more about Chaldean Catholics in the United States you may visit: kaldu.org 


A Chaldean tradition is to re-enact the story of the fourth wiseman. Here is a monologue of the fourth wiseman upon finally arriving in Christ's presence, taken from the play (likely) written by now Bishop Sarhad.

The Fourth Wiseman, as shared by Joe Manni

O my Lord King, here I arrived late and empty handed, and I will tell you my story, just as it happened.

I left my country with the other three magi, carrying with me three valuable jewels, they were as big as dove eggs. And when my freinds were riding to get here quickly, I got tired and slept one night in a guest house, and I told myself, I will still catch up with them during the day. But when I prepared my camel early in the mroning, and set on my way to get here, I saw near the geust house, an old many lying on the ground. He was very sick, and all his body was shaking from a cold fever, adn none of the people who passed by looked at him. He was very poor and had no money, and if I had left him and passed by he would have surely died from illness, hunger, and cold weather. i carried him, and brought him to the guest house. Then, I took one of the jewels, forgive me my Lord, I pulled out one of the jewels that was prepared for you, adn I gave it ot the inn keeper to take care of him, cure his wounds, feed him, and if he dies, bury him.

And so, I proceeded on my way to catch up with the other magi, and the road led me through a scary valley, full of dangers. And suddenly I saw a young girl crying, she was being dragged by robbers like wild wolves. O, my Lord, how could I have fought those wicked men alone? I started reasoining with them, and I saved the young girl, and bought her freedom with one of the jewels, and sent her to her village. I wish you could have seen her, my Lord, how she thanked me, by kissing my hands, and how she left with unsepakable joy, running through the mountain like a little rabbit.

Then, I told myself, at least I have one jewel left, let me get up quickly and bring it to you. And as I proceeded on my way passing through canyons and valleys, until I reached at sunset, near Bethlehem, and what did I see? Smoke and fire burning in a village, and when I went near it, I saw the soldiers of Herod, slaughtering with swords all the children of the village. If you could only see, my Lord, what happened. There was a mother, tired and exhausted, together with her child in the corner of the road. And one of the soldiers had seen her, grabbed the child's legs and snatched him from his mother's arms with his steel sword ready to stab and kill the child. O my Lord, which human heart could have tolerated that horrible scene, that child screaming in his mother's arms, and that mother, shouting and crying with a voice that could break the heavens. At that time, forgive me my Lord, I pulled out the third jewel, adn with it I saved teh child. Then his mother hugged him lovingly, and she left quickly running toward the fields. And thus I arrived by you, my Lord, late and empty handed.

(Saint) Joseph
My brother, you have brought more than all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment