Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Preparing for Christ with Your Little Ones: Advent Calendar

A simple Advent Calendar my three little ones love! 

Supplies:
Paper
scissors
different color construction paper
rick rack (whatever extra decoration you want)
tape
 
I cut a Christmas tree out, free hand. My kids wanted a BIG tree so I made it 3ft tall. We taped it to our dining room wall. Than we draped the red sparkly rick rack on the tree for decoration.  My precious (and feisty) three year old  is still a little confused. She kept saying how she really wanted a real tree, but it was just to big for our apartment...... ! Can't quite get her to understand we will still get a real one to decorate.

It is wonderful to hear and see her express what she "really" wants, and still rejoice in our simple celebration preparing for the Lord. It makes me remember (and pray to never forget) what Advent is all about!

My oldest is three years old. Together we cut out 24 construction paper ornaments. I helped her draw the numbers on them and my two year old  decorated them! We're going for fun, family time here - not a work of art. Though, I must say, I'm always impressed by my kids. We made a big "Happy Birthday Jesus" star for the top of the tree!

In addition to talking about baby Jesus' birthday, we learned about numbers, shapes, and colors! All of this made them very excited for Sunday, when they can start putting up the daily numbered ornaments to get to the big star!

Mary Benz (MI)
Wife and Mother of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment