Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

No Chair. No School. No Future.


Have you ever imagined that the future of a little girl, depended on a chair? A chair! Something we take for granted everyday. I'm sitting in one right now, there are two empty ones to my left, more in the kitchen, the big room, the library, our bedrooms... SO MANY CHAIRS! 

But, when you go to Bolivia, a normal, small chair can be 
worth its weight in gold.
A Fr. Kolbe Missionary shared this story:

"I can't go to school", said Ana Cely that morning in the 
little room of our medical center in Bolivia. She often 
finds me their working.

Such a phrase, from a little ten year old girl - who always 
tells the truth - made me want to discover why this little
 one couldn't go to school. 

Maybe her mom needed her at home, where there was no one to watch her younger siblings; or she doesn't have the money to by the books and notebooks; or maybe her clothes are too full of holes...

All of this immediately passed through my mind, while the little one burst out:

 "I'm missing a chair! 

The teacher said that I have to bring one from home, because there are no more 
available at school. But, at home we only have two and they are all broken:
 I told the teacher that I could sit on the floor during class, but he said that it was 
against the rules. My dad went away some time ago, I don't know where, and my mom 
works hard enough just to get us something to eat - I really  have no money to by a chair!"



The sad expression on her face told me that she wasn't lying.
School was the  only possibility to avoid life on the street and have a better future. 

No chair. No school. No school. No future.


I told her: "Ok, I'll give you a gift, but you must promise me to do well and study hard."

It only took a chair to see the most beautiful smile I've ever seen! If just a little chair
can make a person happy... why is their even a single sad person on the planet?

No comments:

Post a Comment