Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"Celibate too Long"

Virgin + Mother = Woman
Last year I was sitting at a table with abused, addicted women. They had been beat, had beaten, and felt emotionally destroyed. These women were searching vainly for meaning and an identity outside of highs and bruises. They had been used, and had used, and they knew no other life.... barely. Below is a powerful conversation I had with them.

"You have a boyfriend?"
"No. Not really."
"What do you mean not really? You don't have a girlfriend. That's obvious."
"Well, that's good. I mean that my heart belongs to God, and so I don't date or anything like that."
"Anything like that? You mean you don't sleep with anyone either?"
"No. Never have."
"NEVER HAVE. Aren't you, like, twenty-nine or something?"
"Yes."
"NEVER?"
"No. Never."
"Well, when are you gonna?"
"Probably never."
The looks were stunningly incredulous.
"You mean, you might not?"
"No. I mean that I made a promise to God to belong only to him - body and all. That promise is good for a few more years, but I plan to make it forever."
"You sayin' that you never did it, drunk or anything, and you never will?"
"Yes. That's it."
"But, WHY? I mean, you're a VIRGIN?! I haven't been for years (she was 21). Don't you WANT to? You're a woman! Besides... where's the fun in that?"
Smile.
"First of all. 'Fun' has only gotten you into trouble. You know that's just an empty promise, right?"
"Yeah. Its so not worth it. I've had fun and woke up in the morning in a gutter."
"We've all done dumb things just to have fun. The point is that 'fun' is not 'happy.' Besides, its not about what we want.... its about being the person we are created to be. We are women, we are created to receive the GIFT and to BE A GIFT. I make the promise I make in order to show you that you are a gift just the way you are. You can accept God into your life and be a gift for him, your children, and the world."
Tears were flowing.
"You are not the sum of your botched and broken encounters and relationships. You are not the sum of your sex-life. You are the image of God. You are his spouse. You are beautiful just the way you are... Right now you and me have a lot in common. I pray only for you to be as happy and free as I - and so much more!"

Celibate too long? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment