Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Letter from Auschwitz

 St. Maximilian Kolbe was a practical man, filled with impractical dreams. (This seems to be a characteristic of all the great modern saints.) One "impracticality" that he suffered, which proved to be a great key to his spiritual and apostolic success, was that he found the good in everything.  That is to say, he was a supernatural optimist.

I don not say optimism simply, because it was an optimism rooted in and directed to his supernatural destiny: union with God. It is thus genurine, empathetic, and lasting. It means approaching life, and every task placed before us (no matter how small!) as a part of a journey with and to the Lord. Everything takes on a new light and is infused with real joy.

After all, in Auschwitz concentration camp, St. Maximilian wrote the following to his mother:

Mittente:
Name: Kolbe Rajmund
Born: I 8 1894
N. matr: 16670
1.   
“My Dearest Mamusia,  At the end of May I was transported by train to the Auschwitz camp. I’m well. Dearest Mamusia, because our dear God is everywhere and thinks of everyone with great love, don’t be concerned about me or my health. Since I don’t know how long I’ll be here, for the time being it would be best not to write.” 

With warm greetings and kisses.

Kolbe Rajmund                                                                                                                                    (Writings 961)

THEREFORE
OUR DEAR GOD IS EVERYWHERE.
HE THINKS OF YOU WITH GREAT LOVE.
BE CONCERNED ABOUT NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment